Information Governance Values and Principles
The Population Data Science department houses various centres and programmes of work https://popdatasci.swan.ac.uk/. The department has adopted a set of values and associated principles to underpin its information governance framework. By information governance framework, we do not refer to a single document, but to the suite of policies and procedures that describe our conduct with data. These are:
- Protection: We ensure robust measures are in place to keep information secure, to protect privacy and maintain confidentiality.
- Accountability: We take our responsibilities seriously with the information governance framework of each of our centres and programmes overseen by senior staff members.
- Transparency: We ensure our information governance procedures are open and transparent and are managed in a verifiable manner.
- Integrity: We employ proportionate information management controls to maintain the reliability and the utility of the data we collect, store and use.
- Compliance: Our information governance programme is designed to follow all applicable laws, standards and policies, monitoring and updating as required.
- Availability: Our information governance programme facilitates making data available to stakeholders
- Proportionality: We ensure that access to data is sufficient but limited to the minimum required for the purpose.
- Retention: We store information for as long as necessary and permitted based on legal, financial, operational or other requirements and dispose of data, where applicable, in a safe and legal manner.
- Engagement: We work in partnership with the public on acceptable data uses and developments based in public interest to ensure we respect and maintain a social licence
- Sustainability: We work with data in a way that is sensitive to the climate emergency and mindful of energy consumption
These values and principles guide our practical information governance programme of ongoing and time-sensitive activities in accordance with our usual management procedures. They were agreed with a range of personnel across Population Data Science and the Consumer Panel for data linkage. They are designed to complement existing Swansea University data protection and governance policies and not to replace them.
Swansea University Policies: